Friday, December 2, 2016

Blended Learning: Intelligent Adaptive Technologies

After watching a TED Talk on blended learning in the classroom, I feel inspired! I came across this video by chance while I was perusing a TED Talks library on YouTube. Jessie Woolley-Wilson discussed the importance of intelligent adaptive technologies. A program that I use in my classroom daily, comes to mind when I hear those words: i-Ready. i-Ready is an innovative program that adapts to students needs. As Jessie said, "It learns what the learner needs, as the learner learns it". That statement resonated with me quite a bit. I believe those words are very powerful because it sends a strong message.

For those of you who are not familiar with i-Ready, it is a reading and math program that tailors to students' needs. Students take a diagnostic test and the program creates lessons for a child based on his/her test results. If a student is failing the lessons, the program bumps them down a level until they start passing the lessons. This is so find the right niche for students which in turn helps them succeed.

In previous years, I have used i-Ready but this is the first school year in which I truly feel comfortable with it. I am acquainted with the program more and believe I am able to use it more effectively. I am able to pull reports, read the data, use the data to drive my instruction, and add extra lessons for students that need it. Monitoring student growth and projectile gains is something I have been doing quite a bit lately. I am coming to realize just how beneficial these adaptive technologies can be for students.

I have seen the effect it has had on my students. In three and a half months I had a students jump from a level 1 (1st grade) to a mid-3 (middle of third grade level). I teach third grade. This particular student is now exactly where she needs to be in terms of data points. Discussing the importance of the program with students has a huge impact on how they view it. Speaking from my own experiences, I have seen firsthand just how much a pep talk can motivate students to want to do more.

I would recommend all educators get out and search for intelligent adaptive technologies AND utilize the ones they have readily available, to the best of their ability.

No comments:

Post a Comment